Saturday 10 September 2011

... a mini fez

Dan loves a Fez and I love making mini hats.  So i made a mini fez.  Makes sense!

Mini hats are great and realised recently I have made loads but not got round to posting many of them so I will make a post of mini hats soon.....  I started making them a couple of years ago as part of Innocent Smoothies' Big Knit Campaign and have carried on.  I will be making hats for their campaign again this year which aims to raise money to help older people keep warm in winter.  The hats are sold on bottles of smoothie which is cool.  If you can knit or crochet join in!

Exciting news - if you want to make your own mini fez you now can (although this one is a bit big for a smoothie bottle - mini mini version to come soon).  I have made my first pattern which I am very pleased about.  It took ages for me to have the confidence to make anything without having a pattern to follow and here I am writing my own.  Click on the picture to the left download the pattern for yourself



2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how happy you've made me with this mini fez! I'm a bit of a sad-o and just made a sock monkey to fill up my time and had a major hankering for a mini fez to fit his little striped head. This is just the job. Thanks a million for completing my Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know, this pattern has made a double handful (or more) people happy. I have a series of 'chicken hats' made of scrap yarn as a silly way to entertain myself during the current virus/pandemic quarantine. Nothing special.
    Then I got a request from a friend who has been enjoying the 'series'. She wanted to see a chicken in a fez, because fezzes are cool.
    I remembered, vaguely, that I had this pattern saved to a document, and pulled it, the red yarn, and some black embroidery floss together.
    In a couple of hours, I had a beautiful red cotton fez (the red yarn I found), and I had reduced to pattern to better fit a chicken (4 rounds for the top, 7 rounds for the stand). If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do so.
    Needless to say, it's a very popular hat. I have requests to make a USN "Dixie cup" modeled off of the pattern (the white sailor's hat), and larger/smaller fez for family and amused friends.
    Thank you. It may be 8+ years since you wrote this out, but it is still making people happy.

    ReplyDelete